I'm Here...Wanna Chat?

Contact me at brittneegropp@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vanity...

I never imagined I was vain, but sure enough in the blink of an eye vanity sneaks up on you.


This last month and a half I have suffered with hair issues, self-induced might I add. If you know me, you might understand this is more common than I would really like to admit. It is not the first time, but I hope and pray it will finally be the last of my hair dramas.
For years, I have struggled to grow my hair out. Soon after finding success however, I decided it was too hard to maintain and cut a large portion off. Of course that did not work maintenance wise either. Convinced of only two options, one cutting it all off, or two perming to maintain length, I chose the perm. You see my hair is super thick and half naturally wavy and half naturally straight. Blow dry time is ridiculous and I totally adore my sleep-ins so I thought I would embrace my waves and make them better. I grew up with perms and my hair was significantly healthy. My mom even purchased the sensitive solution to ensure a good curl due to the fact that the two perms prior both resulted in damaged, fried hair.

Something must have changed in my chemical make up. Lo and behold this perm also caused severe damage. More so than I found at first. My hair was literally melted. I cut almost seven inches off in the hopes of fixing the damage. I had a short a-line bob. Two weeks passed and I found more damage. I went in to get this cut off as well. At this point I had been told my hair was completely uneven and so the beautician attempted to fix it. What I ended up with was dog eared uneven and even shorter hair than expected. I called a friend begging her to fix it. She proceeded to practically shave the back portion of my head and then give me a reverse a-line in the front third of my hair. I cried and cried. Literally. I called my sister sobbing, begging for her to just cut it all off. I was determined to end this six week long fiasco. I left work early Friday and went straight to Great Clips. I gave the girl a picture, had a beautifully perfect haircut in minutes and was only out $12!

***Proof that not all salons can cut hair. My first cut was $30 at System Seven and she started this whole mess with an uneven cut!$***

There was minor set back. My hair is now 2 and 1/2 inches all the way around. I was devastated. I have never had this short of hair and feel that I just don't have the bone structure for such a drastic cut.

Because of this, I cried some more and purchased a wig. I wore the wig all day Saturday and all day Sunday before finally coming to terms with my vanity.

I realized that there are much worse things in life than ugly hair. I realized that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I realized that hair grows back. I realized that I can actually pull off short hair pretty well. I learned I am a drama queen when it comes to my hair. I learned that my passions drive me to do stupid things, such as purchasing wigs. But most of all I came to terms with myself.

Luckily, I have other uses for my wig (which I totally bought at a costume shop)- like Halloween!

1 comment:

Kim :) said...

Britt, I totally would love to see a picture of you with short hair. I'll bet you don't look as bad as you think.... I bet you look great! I'm sorry for all the trauma, but I totally understand your pain. I have had short hair for a long time now, but I chose to cut it short, unlike you. At times I wish I had long hair, and then I remember how hard it was, how many bad hair days I had compared with the 1 or 2 good hair days, and then I realize that short hair is great! I may not be the most feminine gal around, but I can sleep in, and it only takes about 4 minutes to do my hair. I don't even own a curling iron any more, and it's a great thing! Plus, I'm sure Shane is being totally supportive and wonderful for ya! Hang in there, and hopefully you'll come to love your new do!
Love ya,
Kim :)