I'm Here...Wanna Chat?

Contact me at brittneegropp@gmail.com

Friday, October 30, 2009

Acceptance...


At one time or another, we all go through a phase of our lives where we would give anything to be something different than ourselves. For some of us we only want to change one thing, and for others we want to blast away every little detail. This is rampant particularly in teenagers, whom unlike most; take it to an extreme level through their ashen painted faces, ebony shaded hair and makeup, and chain metal dark attire or the excessive drug and alcohol abuse. Adults tend to stray from changing their appearances physically, but instead shop to impress whether that be with the Armani suit, black shirt and silk pink tie or with that beautiful candy red Ferrari that sets them back a few years in retirement. And even more some of us wish we could create an entirely new albeit fake reality much like attending the fictional university South Harmon Institute of Technology just to feel like we belong somewhere.
Some may call this a teenager “finding their own way” or “rebellion”, others might call it a “mid-life crisis”, but for me it’s much more than that.
It’s been a daily battle, even a curse for me. I’ve always wanted what I couldn’t have. I’m typically all sorts of shades of green with envy with certain people I associate with. In high school (only 5 ½ years ago) I found solace in changing my hair. Red, orange, bleached-blonde, chocolate, almost raven with short, short-curly, medium, long, wavy, ironed (literally with an iron) straight, or razor chopped hair. I was a chameleon. Nowadays, I buy clothing-lots and lots of clothing.
So here in lies the question of the day…
How do you learn to ACCEPT who you are and be happy with that?
I’ve got my own answers-I’m just curious what other people might think…

3 comments:

sleepynae said...

I don't know how you can, but I just came to realize how cool I am, kinda came to the realization that I was a valuable person to know, Heavenly Father loved me and if the world didn't well they can all go and attend S.H.I.T. university. I am of great worth, and furthermore, so are you! I love you and want you to know you are an amazing person!

Now, do me a favor and take off the Doug part of my blog cause he is no more!

Toodles lovey!

Erica said...

this really made me think. i know sometimes i look at someone and think, "wow they have it all..." but it is funny that once you get to know them you realize they don't have what you thought & are wishing they, themselves had something different. i guess the grass is always greener.

accepting who you are doesn't happen over night. for me it is a constant process. i get overwhelmbed, i get down, i get jealous... but then i have to step back. take a deep breath & realize what i DO have & what i AM becoming.
making goals, reaching those goals and sometimes... not reaching those goals is sometimes what makes me happy.
it is such a hard process that every single person is working one, whether they admit it or not... don't be too hard on yourself!

Kim :) said...

Hey Britt,
This is a hard thing! I have to admit that I too struggle with this. Especially this last summer, I was so depressed and down with life... I was just so greatful that I made it to the end of the summer without hurting any of my kids. I just went through the motions of life, but didn't have any of the feelings. Except for guilt... I had a lot of that. I think the thing that has helped me a little, (besides the kids going back to school,) has been trying to do service for others. In making myself get up off my lazy butt and trying to actually help someone else, I not only feel good about helping someone, but I also have learned that everyone has something they are going thru, struggling with, and wanting to change. In doing this, I have realized that I actually don't have it so bad. That I am actually blessed, and need to be thankful for my lot in life, and that it's not as bad as someone elses. I still struggle daily, but it isn't as bad as it was earlier.... I think it is a slow process, and one that can be painful at times. However, like the first gal said, just knowing that YOU are a precious daughter of a loving Heavenly Father, can make a ton of difference! And you are precious, and wonderful, and have so much to offer. Don't get so down on yourself! I have always thought you were so awesome, and I have always loved you. (I'm so sad that I missed out on your teenage years... I am devastated that I don't get to see Stephanie and Kandi... boy I loved you kids! I was in tears when I saw Jared's homecoming pictures, and realized that I had missed out on knowing such an amazing kid. But, we can't change that time, and now I hope to stay close with you.) I love ya Brittnee, and I know you are a very special daughter of God, who loves you, and wants you to be happy. I have President Hinckley's quote on my wall, and it sometimes helps remind me to not be so hard on myself... "In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured." I think as you come to accept that you are amazing, and serve others, you will slowly come to like the person you are! I love you! Hang in there! :)
You cuz, Kim :)